Sunday, April 19, 2009

Sunday Cats and a Hot Dog

Ok, dark secret time: I love hot dogs. I just do. They have to be good ones, mind you (like the kind you buy as singles at a deli), but I'll eat way more of them than is healthy. Sometimes I just do a standard ketchup, mustard, relish kind of thing. Sometimes I do fancier stuff. Like the most recent time, I cooked them in a 500 degree oven till they started to brown (if I could grill them I would have), then put some barbecue sauce on and put them back in the oven. Left them in for about 5 minutes, so the sauce caramelized. Then put them on a nice roll with a little onion and bacon. Good times kids.

Now some cats. Just a couple pics today, they haven't really been up to much lately. But here is Noodles. Looking like a cupcake. She needs to head back to boxhab, wicked bad. Here is Bob, poorly framed, looking like a cashew. He's not a proud animal. I don't think he got the "maintain an aloof and mysterious attitude" memo that all the other cats got. Well, Noodles might not have gotten it either. She likes to sleep on our beanbag, but tends to slide off. Slowly. It's quite amusing.

16 comments:

Van Santos said...

I love hot dogs as well... there is a place here in Chicago (well, around the Chicago area) called Portillo's. I can easily have 4 in one sitting.

Love the cats, btw. I have two as well. =)

tamilyn said...

Those dogs look delish. I have never made them in the oven-usually the grill, but if they look like that, I may have to try.

Those cat photos are hysterical-especially the last one! S-L-O-W-L-Y sliding off the beanbag!

Anonymous said...

I haven't a hot dog ever since I stopped working in downtown DC. I need to fix that.

vanillasugarblog said...

I love hot dogs too. When we live in Wash, DC for a while they had the most horrid hot dogs ever and I missed being home so much. Finally we moved back to cape cod and the first thing I got? A hot dog and a good cup of coffee, seriously.
I am going to try the 500 degrees, and then the bbq sauce, that sounds INSANELY good.

Reeni said...

Awesome cooking idea for the hotdog-love that you put bacon on it! Aww! Cupcake kitty!!!!

noble pig said...

Did the cats get a perm?

Wandering Coyote said...

I love a good hot dog every so often, too.

Great cat pics!

Dewi said...

Very cute cats! I don't know where to go for good hot dog here in Palo alto area. Does any body knows?
Cheers,
elra

Bob said...

Van Santos: Heh, there is a local chain place called Spikes (the best hot dogs EVER) and each location has a wall of fame for people who eat more than 2 in a sitting. It's always amusing.

tamilyn: I usually grill them too, when I have a grill. But the oven works pretty well and it's easier.

5 Star Foodie: Go for it. :)

Dawn: One more reason not to move out of the Boston/Providence (or Little Boston) area. Heh. The 500 degree/bbq sauce method is mad good, you should totally try it out.

Reeni: Bacon makes everything better. :)

noble pig: Nope, Bob just has naturally wavy hair.

Wandering Coyote: Thanks!

Elra: I have family in Palo Alto, I can ask them.

Karen said...

I like a hot dog every now and then on *really* fresh buns!

Van Santos said...

You know, all this talk of hotdogs makes we now want to stop at Portillo's! I think I know where I am going after I stop at Trader Joe's.

How big are the dogs at spikes? 2 doesn't seem like a lot. Then again...

Portillo's also has this Chocolate Cake that is amazing. Too bad they don't ship it as I'd send some your way.

Karen said...

Yup, sausage & onions. I love those frozen herbs... so convenient. I have been using them on fried eggs (Italian blend) and it's so good. I've got a couple of recipes in my head so I can enter the contest... will have to get busy on those. I can't find the frozen herbs in the grocery store here and although the herbs are fairly inexpensive, the shipping is out of this world!

Donna-FFW said...

Those hot dogs look awesome. Never had them roasted your way and with bbq sauce, fab idea! Cute kitties!

Tangled Noodle said...

Sleepy kitties are so cute! And that's some hot dog! I like to buy a local all-beef brand that has the nice 'pop' when you bite into it. I keep mine simple - just a nice garlic mustard or some homemade ketchup. Delicious!

Yesica N. Cook said...

Love the Noodle-in-a-box. And Bob is shameless. Great pix! (The hot dog too, of course!)

Spryte said...

That hotdog looks SOOOOO good!!!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin