Saturday, April 11, 2009

Pizza Weirdness and a Wine Review: Chardonnay

Ok, first the weirdness. Look at this: This is the pizza I made for my girlfriend when I made my hamburger one. I made it just like normal. Sauce (that's browned Italian sausage and peppers in it), cheese, oven. And this... mutant is what came out. It's like some kind of alien pizza, from a world where instead of just round, pizza is spherical. Or maybe a Lovecraftian idol, hidden in an arctic shrine somewhere, guarded jealously by hordes of villagers that have been twisted by it's magic into half-walrus, half human monstrosities, lumbering around on their flipper feet and calling out mustachy warnings to anyone foolish enough to draw near! Er... excuse me. Well, no matter why it happened (although if anyone knows, I'm curious) it was good. And fortunately my girlfriend likes crispy dough bubbles. Heh.

Here's the wine review. Now I'm going to say something I said over at the Bakespace wine club. The whole "New Look, Same Taste!!1!" crap annoys me. I'm not sure why, but it does. And seeing it on wine kind of tweeked me out. But I gave it a shot because I've had good luck with Australian wines lately and had something else by Black Swan that was really good. Like this one was.

Name: Black Swan Chardonnay
Price: 7.99
Year: 2006

Short intro from the wine maker about the wine: Nothing.
Review: Smooth and rich, particularly for a white. A fruity taste that lingers, very slightly oaky. Clingy texture (round?), a great balance of sweet and dry, not too much of either. This was really good and for 8 bucks, you can't beat it.
Would you buy again?: Definitely.
Wine Pairing Ideas/Recipes: I would drink this with pretty much anything. Seriously. Roast chicken, anything with a cider glaze,
a lemony souvlaki and hummus spring to mind. But I haven't actually tried any of them with it, so I don't really know. I should get some more. For research purposes.

21 comments:

Unknown said...

ROFLMAO!! Loved the description and theories on your morphed pizza!! Apparently having a crispy dough lover around comes in handy! ha ha

vanillasugarblog said...

LOL! Alien pizza! You are crazy! Did anyone eat it? I sure would have.

Wandering Coyote said...

The mutant! I love it! It actually looks quite appealing to me. Sometimes yeast just goes a little crazy...

The Brutal Gourmet said...

Did you press the dough out carefully after rising? My understanding is that this can happen if there is a largish seed bubble. Since the yeasts cannot blow bubbles with much force, an existing bubble will fill more easily than new bubbles will form.

Looks good though -- I like crispy dough bubbles too :)

Reeni said...

What a cool pizza! And your hilarious!

Van Santos said...

So very weird! Now, if you can do it again like that maybe you've got a secret.

Vicki said...

I can barely type from laughing so hard. Thanks for brightening my day. And I would totally eat that pizza.

Bob said...

Danielle: Heh, thanks. :) Yeah, she loved the bubbles.

Dawn: Oh yeah. My girlfriend mowed it, it was gone before I got to try any!

Wandering Coyote: It is pretty appealing, all that browned seasoned bread. Mmmm.

Brutal: I actually didn't make this dough, but the other pizza I made didn't do it. I'm guessing there was a small bubble in that part already, but I really don't know.

Reeni: Thanks! :)

Van Santos: I know, right? I could start a whole new fad! If I could only replicate it...

Vicki: You're welcome, glad you enjoyed it. ;) I'd send you some of it if I could.

Dewi said...

Love the look on this pizza, it's so unique and I am sure it delicious too.
Cheers,
elra

Van Santos said...

Start the trend! =) No joking here, that is something that one could easily turn into a finger food appetizer.

unconfidential cook said...

Call me crazy...but that pizza looks good to me. Kind of a calzone/pizza.

tamilyn said...

Dude, how much wine did you drink before the story of mutant, flipper footed, mustached gargoyles come to mind???

As long as it tastes good, who cares if it is a mutant?

The Cooking Photographer said...

I know it was a fluke, but I want to know how you made those amazing bubbles! I want more bubbles in my crusts.

Bob said...

Elra: Thanks, it was. :)

Van Santos: If I can figure out why it happened I just might. Heh.

unconfidentialcook: I thought it looked good too, just... weird.

tamilyn: Heh, I was sober! I drank that wine weeks ago. I've been reading HP Lovecraft is all...

The Cooking Photographer: Me too! But I have no clue how it happened.

The Brutal Gourmet said...

Don't listen to the naysayers, Bob. I thought your reprise of Shadow over Innsmouth was brilliant. Needs more insanity though.

Tangled Noodle said...

I wouldn't mind climbing the Mountains of Madness for this pizza, freakish boils and all! 8-)

Bob said...

Brutal: They were originally going to be half fish, but I thought that a little on the nose.

Tangled Noodle: Heh, thanks! :)

Tim said...

Now that is impressive.

PizzaGal said...

I happen to like some bubbles in my crust - yum. But as I learned from the years I worked in a local pizza joint (and making my own), you have to dock (poke holes in) the dough with a fork before you put on the sauce. Don't have to go crazy, but just give it some pokes all around. Having learned also from experience, dock the dough and then make sure it doesn't stick to the board you're using to transfer the pizza to the oven. That one ended badly.

Bob said...

Tim: Thanks, I wish I could replicate it. Heh.

PizzaGal: Thanks for the docking tip, I didn't know about that. I did know about making sure the pizza isn't stuck to the peel though. Learned that the hard way...

Shane T. Wingerd said...

Awesome Pizza...!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin