Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Oven Baked Potato Wedges

So this is another one that isn't really a recipe, more of a method. My brothers method, to be precise. We had these with those burgers I posted about the other day and several people expressed some interest in how they were made. Can't blame them, they are mad good. But there isn't really any measuring involved, he just tosses it all together. And here's how.

He takes a whole bunch of red potatoes, scrubbed and such, and slices them into wedges. Tosses them in a bowl, a little olive oil (enough to coat them)and seasoning. You want enough to give a decent coating too.You can use whatever seasonings you like, they're potatoes so pretty much everything goes well with them. He, however, uses 21 Seasoning Salute (and salt). It's a good time.If you use a big bowl you can just toss them to coat. Spread them on a tray and toss them into a 350 degree oven for thirty to forty minutes, depending on the size of the 'tatos. Once they are cooked crank the heat up to 450 for another 15 minutes or so. That gives you this lovely golden crispy side. You could flip them at one point or another, but then you wouldn't get this super crispy bit. It's kind of like potstickers with the brown crispy bottom and softer top. But that's it. Simple and delicious.

19 comments:

noble pig said...

I've never seen that one at TJ's, I love it!

tamilyn said...

Yum spuds!

Donna-FFW said...

Bob! You are making me jealous that you have a trader joes! I have to get to one.. I must buy this seasoning, it looks delicious on the potatoes.

Anonymous said...

This seasoning sounds great - love oven baked potato wedges!

vanillasugarblog said...

I remember when I first started visiting your blog you had made those crash-hot potatoes. Man, those were good. So this post reminds me of that and of the fact that I have to buy that seasoning from TJ's--I always walk right by it.

Dewi said...

Delicous, much healthier and nice seasoning!

Karen said...

Roasted potatoes are great, and I prefer the red potatoes.

Anonymous said...

Does your TJ's have special shipments? Never seen his Seasoning Salute before. Gotta double check the shelves next time!

Ulla said...

fantastic! i sometimes add anchovies and sage to mine! looks fantastic!:)

The Brutal Gourmet said...

A minor nit-pick: I crank the oven to 450 at the end, although since the potatoes are essentially cooked at that point, 475 would probably not do them harm, but keep an eye on them anyway!

If your local Trader Joe's does not carry that mix, just talk to the manager. It is available to them, and if they know that someone wants it they can get it pretty easily. If you do not have one local, well, that sucks. TJ's rocks.

To fake the seasoning, crush some dehydrated onion with a mortar and pestle, and add whatever else you want -- I suspect that of the "21 seasonings" in the jar, at least rest is assorted ordinary herbs, but then there is some citrus juice powder/oil. If you dried some lemon peel and pulverized it very small that would probably cover the experience. It is a salt-free mix, so I always add salt as well. Potatoes without salt are not a good time.

The Brutal Gourmet said...

Hm, bad editing there. That should be "...at least 60% is onion, and most of the rest is..."

Your mileage may vary.

Reeni said...

Oven fries are the best! Especially with red taters, yummmm!!!!

Jeff said...

The crispy bit is the best part. I like doing them in the oven or grill too because I don't have to deal with a good amount of excess or my house smelling like a McDonalds (dates do not find that sexy).

I normally toss mine with oregano, lemon juice, salt pepper, garlic, and oil. Some days I just do good old paprika, salt, pepper, and oil though. Whatever seasoning though they are flipping good.

Wandering Coyote said...

I love the title of that seasoning mix! I really enjoy potatoes done this way, too. It's one of the few ways I like them.

Holly said...

Yum, these look great! I'm curious - what spices are in the 21 seasoning salute?

Yesica N. Cook said...

Ooooh, was hoping you'd post these - thanks, can't wait to try...

Tangled Noodle said...

I am serious need of some crispy baked potato wedges right this very moment. These taters are calling!

Unknown said...

mmmm...gotta love them taters! especially the red kind and that nice golden goodness!!

Hayley said...

These look yummy! Red potatoes kick a**!

I love potatoes any way, except as potato chips (not sure why, because I love most other chips) and sometimes potato salad (if it's a particularly mustard-y recipe, because I don't like mustard). Otherwise, you can't serve me a bad potato. As I said, these look great.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin