Sunday, April 12, 2009

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Buttercream Frosting

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup chunky peanut butter
3 tablespoons milk, or as needed
2 cups confectioners' sugar
3/4 cup chopped chocolate chips

Cream the butter and peanut butter together. Add the sugar, mix to combine. Add the milk, a tablespoon at a time and mix till smooth and spreadable.

adapted from here

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, here is how good this frosting is. See this? See the cake? The chocolate cake? Practically irrelevant. I wound up eating about a quarter cup of the frosting with a spoon while I was waiting for the cake to cool enough to be frosted. Then when I did frost it and eat some I barely even noticed it. It probably didn't help that it was a mix cake, but I like mix cakes. Sure, they aren't as good as a good homemade one, but it will satisfy a cake craving and it's easy. But this frosting. This was very good. It's full of chunks from the peanuts and chocolate, so it will never be smooth and pretty. But it tastes like some kind of wonderful, delicious... thing. Words fail me, apparently. Look, if you like peanut butter, butter and chocolate you will like this frosting. It's wicked good. Here's how you make it.


Chop up some chocolate chips. No need to worry too much about small pieces, big chunks of chocolate are always good. And I've found that nothing is going to make a chunky frosting spread well, so you might as well get good flavor. Plus if you are using an electric mixer it will break them down a bit more. I didn't feel like breaking out my electric, which probably wouldn't have been able to handle frosting anyway. It's really weak. But I didn't use the whisk pictured here either. I'm not sure why I thought I would. I also didn't feel like following the instructions, I just dumped in everything except the milk and chips into a bowl and mixed. Then added some milk to thin it out. Then chocolate chips and more mixing. When it was as smooth as I wanted, I called it done. Then, as you saw, I put it on cake and ate more. It would also be good between two peanut butter cookies, chocolate chip cookies or chocolate oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Or just on a spoon. I think that was my favorite.

27 comments:

Dewi said...

This frosting sounds really delicious. Mhhh...
Cheers,
elra

tamilyn said...

Yum, my two favorite flavors in one handy vehicle!

Jen @ MyKitchenAddiction.com said...

Yum - that looks delicious! I love the idea to put it between two peanut butter cookies!

vanillasugarblog said...

good to see that I'm not the only one that mixes frosting by hand. I know you don't have a mixer either. I swear I'm tired of doing the mixing by hand though.
Eating the frosting while waiting for cake to chill is so funny.

Wandering Coyote said...

Yeah...the cake WOULD be irrelevant in this case! I'm definitely bookmarking this recipe - thank you!!

Erin said...

I am totally a frosting person- this looks wonderful!

Jennifer said...

Yeah, that would be too dangerous for me! I would keep licking the batter.

What a great combo though!

It looks awesome!!

Unknown said...

*swoon* sighs. I am a cheap date lol.

Van Santos said...

Woo hoo! I've been looking for a good buttercream recipe, I'm going to give this a try on my next batch.

My last was... well... not even worth talking about!

The Brutal Gourmet said...

Van Santos:

A good general buttercream recipe (the one Bob and I grew up on) goes like this:

2 sticks softened butter
~1 lb confectioners sugar
Several tablespoons heavy cream
2 tsp vanilla extract

Beat the butter until pale. Add sugar a bit at a time, beating to combine. Thin with cream as needed. When you get to "the right consistency", stop. You can add color, or 1-4 oz gently melted baking chocolate to this base.

You can go from fudgy to spreadable pretty easily. You can also take leftover frosting and put it on graham crackers and hide it from the children, which I think our mom did more than once.

Purist warning: This is not "Buttercream Frosting" which by every proper definition I know involves eggs. Which I do not want in my frosting.

Van said...

Thanks for the recipe! =) I will let you know how it goes.

Reeni said...

I love PB frosting!! It looks so scrumptious!!

Bob said...

Elra: Thanks, it was. :)

tamilyn: Convenient, isn't it?

Jen: Thanks, I wish I had had some when I made cookies a while ago.

Dawn: If I made frosting more often I would invest in a better mixer, but I don't so I can't really justify the expense.

Wandering Coyote: No, thank YOU. Heh. If you make it let me know how it turns out!

Erin: Thanks!

Jennifer: Thanks! Dangerous it was, I came pretty close to making myself ill on it.

Christine: Heh, I didn't even lace it with rum. :)

Van Santos: Let me know how it turns out for you!

Brutal: I've never heard of eggs in buttercream before, sounds... unnecessary.

Reeni: Thanks! It was mad good. :)

Donna-FFW said...

OMG!! This looks fantastic. I am so making this and soon! VERY soon..

noble pig said...

OMG you are crazy and I love it.

Joie de vivre said...

So you didn't need to cook the frosting (the ol' 7 minute thing)? I'm sold!

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer said...

I love it - WOW that looks so wonderful. A spoon and the bowl would be my way of eating this one!!

Thistlemoon said...

Wow, I could just eat that straight from the bowl.

unconfidentialcook said...

This wouldn't make it to the cake in our house. Yum!

Katy said...

Just knew you were a New Englander where you described HoneyB's donuts as "wicked good!"

You have a nice blog as well.

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Printing this out...you've convinced me! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
~ingrid

Anonymous said...

Wow, that frosting sounds excellent! I would just eat it with a spoon too! Yum!

Bob said...

Donna: Let me know how you like it!

noble pig: Hey, I've warned you guys that I'm a madman. ;)

Joie: Nope, no cooking. I've never made a cooked frosting before (or eaten one that I knew of), so I can't compare them though.

Cathy: Thanks! That's what I wound up doing. Heh.

JennDZ: Thanks! That way works. :)

unconfidentialcook: I take that as a good sign.

Katy: Thanks! Yeah, that always gives it away.

ingrid: Sweet. Let me know what you think. :)

5 Star Foodie: Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Whoa whoa whoa there! You've created something good. Agreed that this would be eaten on a spoon in seconds.

ARUNA said...

wow this frosting looks soooooo divine. glad i visited ur blog!

Noob Cook said...

The frosting is such a treat!

Tangled Noodle said...

Yup, a spoon will do! No need to get fancy - some things are meant to be enjoyed in their natural glory! 8-)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin