Monday, July 11, 2011

Caramelized Onion and Beer Rice and Beans

Look! Food! Food that I actually made! Course, I don't have a recipe. Or more than that one picture really.... but it was pretty good. And hey, baby steps to getting back into blogging, right? Heh. Not to mention learning how to cook in my kitchen cubicle.

Part of the reason I don't have a recipe is that I actually somehow managed to ... misplace... all of my measuring devices and not a few of my other kitchen things in my most recent move. I know where some of them are, but I could have sworn I packed up my measuring spoons in with my pots. Ah well, good thing my mom taught me to cook without caring too much about exactitude.

I had never made rice and beans before so I just kind of winged it. I caramelized the onions, deglazed with some Sam Adams Boston Lager, added spices (mostly mexican, I think) added rice and a can of red beans and that was that. It was even vegetarian. Oh! And some green bell pepper, since I had some that wanted using. So sometime soon I'll have to remake it when I can tell you guys what I actually did. Heh.

4 comments:

Rocquie said...

Mmmm. Looks good.

tamilyn said...

Welcome back Bob!

Chris said...

Meh, who needs measuring cups and spoons, we aren't baking here! The rice looks like something I would take to lunch at work. It's filling, has protein, and tastes way better than buying lunch at the drive thru joints!

Sarah @ Sarah's Modern Bites said...

This is what my boyfriend eats like every day haha This is the perfect dish to 'wing it' He usually also adds salsa and avocado... sometimes melted cheese. he calls it a 'slurry' I helped him fancy it up by teaching him how easy it is to caramelize onions and saute the rice right in... he microwaves EVERYTHING AHH!! This is a super balanced meal :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin