Thursday, December 29, 2011

How to Make Homemade Vanilla Sugar: Phase One

I have a couple vanilla beans that I had been kind of sitting on, waiting to do something cool with. But as much as I wanted pastry cream or a good vanilla mousse, that's just not happening with the work space I have now. So I decided to make vanilla sugar, it's easy and keeps forever, that's exactly my speed these days. Heh.

I didn't know how to make it, really, but the internet knows all and tells more. Of course I immediately thought of Dawn over at Vanilla Sugar, derp, but she didn't know how to make it. I was perplexed, but that's not a real challenge. I asked around the usual channels and decided on the way Shane from Culinary Alchemy said to. It seemed easiest. Heh.

At least this is pretty much what I remember him saying. I didn't want to log out of my personal Facebook, log into my blog Facebook, check, then log back into my personal one. Because I always forget passwords or something and I think what I did will work fine. I cut up the vanilla pod into quarters, didn't bother to scrape most of the seeds out since there's going to be shaking on a regular basis. And I just stuck it all in a glass jar together. Now I'm going to leave it mostly alone for a couple weeks, shaking when I feel the need. And we'll see what happens. Further updates as events warrant.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin