Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Double Garlic, Blue Potato and Egg Pizza

-herbed pizza dough
-1/4 cup olive oil
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-baby blue potato, sliced thin
-red onion, sliced thin
-shredded mozzarella and Dubliner (or whatever you like)
-eggs

Heat the oil and garlic on low in a small sauce pan for 10-15 minutes. You don't want the garlic to brown. Roll out the dough and dock it. Brush it with just the infused oil, then top it with the cheese, potatoes, onions and bits of garlic from the oil. Bake in a very hot, preheated oven for 10 minutes then pull it out, crack the eggs onto it and get it back in the oven. Let it cook until the eggs are as done as you want, 5-10 minutes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You heard right, double garlic. There's some onion on there too, so I don't suggest making this for a date. Unless of course you're both into garlic breath, then hey, have at it. Heh.

This was quite possibly the strangest looking pizza I've ever made, but I guess that's not too surprising considering there are blue potatoes on it. The potatoes in question came in a "baby potato medley" and I didn't feel right mashing them up like I was doing with all the others. So I decided, completely out of character, to make a pizza with them. I had some herbed dough and figured I'd make a white one, since the crust would have so much flavor already.

I don't have a mandolin or particularly awesome knife skills, so I figured I'd slice the potato on the large slice side of my box grater. Worked alright, even if the slices aren't particularly pretty. Then I rolled out my dough and docked it. For those who don't know, docking is when you stab the dough with a fork or something of the sort to help keep air bubbles from forming. I find I get many less mutant pizzas when I do this. While the oven was preheating I had left a metal measuring cup with a quarter cup of olive oil and two cloves of minced garlic on the stove top.

See, my oven is wicked inefficient, lots of heat escapes while it's going. Over the course of the half hour or so that I preheated the oven the oil got nicely infused. You could also just do this over the stove on a low heat, if you have a quality oven. Anyway, then I brushed on some of the garlic oil (not the chunks, just the oil). That's garlic number one. Then just a whisper of cheese.Heh. I know, I know, it looks like an awful lot. And it is. That's just how I get down sometimes. It's a mix of mozzarella and Dubliner, the latter of which I've been enjoying a lot lately. Goes great with tuna salad.

Then I put on the potatoes, which had soaked for a while in salted water. I'm told that removes starch and a little moisture, letting them brown better. I wanted some onion on there so I sliced some red onion into thin slices. Thin enough to see though slices, even. And that was by hand, kids. Although they weren't all that thin. Heh. Then I took some of the oily garlic chunks and dolloped them around. That would be double garlic.

Then I stuck it in the oven for ten minutes or so, pulled it out and cracked a couple eggs on top. None of that got photographed though, I wanted to do it as quickly as possible.

But these are the eggs, they're really small and really fresh. I got them from the same source as last time I got fresh eggs and they were just as awesome. I left it in for another five or ten minutes, I don't remember exactly I'm afraid, I pulled it out when the whites were set.

And this shows you how bad my oven is. See the egg on the right? The yolk is cooked solid. See the egg on the left? Yeah. Slightly less so.

This is why I don't bake a lot of cakes in this apartment.

But solid or runny, it was awesome. The garlic crisped up and mellowed out really well, the potatoes didn't brown much, but they softened nicely and added a good earthy flavor. I did prefer the runny egg, I love runny yolks, but both added an excellent richness. That I suppose it didn't really need, what with all the cheese. But hey, it was most of what I was eating that day. Heh.

So who else has had eggs on pizza? What do you think of them?

22 comments:

Jeannie said...

I'll have the egg on the left part please...love runny egg yolk:D awesome pizza! The blue potatoes look kind purple to me though.

Rocquie said...

That pizza looks lovely and unique. I've never had eggs on pizza but have seen a lot of that in the past couple of years. I'm sure it tastes great.

Heather S-G said...

mmmm...this reminds me of my breakfast pizza...I LOOOOVE it! It's so pretty, too, LOL! And yes, double garlic- me likey ;)

Angie's Recipes said...

What an unique pizza! I could finish at least half of them at one go!

vanillasugarblog said...

i think potatoes on pizza s/b a staple. i never see them that way where i live.

Jenn said...

potato, garlic and egg...on a pizza. Totally works for me.

Reeni said...

This looks incredible! I love purple potatoes and the more garlic the better!

Joanne said...

Oh I want this. I want this so badly. The thought of the yolk with the cheese...making me drool.

tamilyn said...

I was just having a conversation at work with someone and we were thinking of trying a loaded baked potato pizza!

Shane T. Wingerd said...

Oh my, that DOES look delicious! I have made Eggs Benedict Pizza before, but I think I would like this one even better.

FOODalogue said...

Very creative. I did a double-take on the photos and was compelled to read through. Good work!

Hungry Dog said...

That is a gorgeous pizza. I love purple potatoes! As for eggs on pizza: yes. Which is weird because I don't like eggs much in general. But I find that they take on a whole new look with pizza.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Love the herbed dough and I am still going to try an egg on pizza, I am so damn curious.

Cooking Asshole said...

Beautiful. Potatoes on pizza is totally underrated. I freaking love it.

Chuck said...

I made an over easy egg pizza this past weekend on a tortila...it was incredible, one of my new favorites. Your's looks even better!

Annukka said...

Reminds me of my favorite a few years ago, when there wasn't always an awful lot of ingredients in my fridge. Ketchup (fast and always available), tuna (chunks in oil, none of that "flake" goop), hard-boiled sliced egg and lemon pepper, covered with cheese. Weird. Maybe I should try it again with adult taste buds and see whether it's edible.

Dewi said...

Absolutely beautiful and very appealing pizza.

MrsLavendula said...

ill have the slice with the runny eggs please! yummy!

Best Hamburger Recipe said...

yummy!! what a delicious recipe! :)

pigpigscorner said...

wow, I love the colours and the eggs....YUM!

Pretty. Good. Food. said...

Oh man this looks delicious! And your photographs are beautiful! Everything here looks great!
I recently launched my own blog, I'd love for you to check it out and let me know what you think! :) Thanks!
www.prettygoodfood.com

Unknown said...


Excellent round up of all the delicious recipes. Wonderfully prepared.
Restaurants in South Delhi

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin