Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Steamed Buns

So some time last year I made steamed buns with some kind of chicken filling. I know I did it not only because I remember eating them, but because I have pictures. Heh, pretty definitive proof there. What I don't have is a recipe. I know I had one, but I can't find it anywhere. Which sucks, because they were wicked good.

I googled around a bit but couldn't find anything that looked familiar. I have a general idea of what I did and I remember it taking a long time for all the various rises (which is why the last two pics are under my crappy kitchen light). What I did was this.

I made dough.Which needed a sponge, I believe, and then a second rise after kneading.
I made filling, which I recall me trying to make taste kind of like char siu since char siu bao is what got me wanting to make these. I wrapped the filling with the dough. I remember having to then let them rise again in the steamer. Then I steamed them. And they were awesome. But no, no recipe. So who out there has a good recipe for bao dough? I sure could use one.

11 comments:

Michele said...

That looks so good! Find the recipe, will ya!

Plain Chicken said...

Looks good. We saw a place selling steamed buns in Chicago but we didn't try them. I wish I did now.

Pretty Zesty said...

Looks so freaking good right now. Freakin' salad for lunch didnt cut it!

Anonymous said...

Those look great! If you ever find a recipe for the dough, do share!

Spryte said...

Dude!!! I totally hate that!!! I have a set of awesome beef stroganoff pics... no recipe!

Those look tasty!!

vanillasugarblog said...

i wonder if you could use pizza dough?
i have so many photos with no recipes....should i post em?

Hungry Dog said...

Very impressive. This is a labor intensive thing to make! Yours look like they turned out great.

My Little Space said...

Oooo... steamed bun! Bob, I think you did a great job on this. They look pretty cute too. Enjoy & have a nice day.
Cheers, kristy

The Brutal Gourmet said...

The bao recipe I used last, which was pretty good, goes like this:

1 C warm water
3 Tbls sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons yeast
14.5 oz (3 1/4 C) AP flour
3 Tbls veg oil
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder

Mix water, sugar, yeast; let stand 5 min.
Mix in flour, oil, salt, knead until smooth and elastic.
Oil dough lightly, rise 1 hr.
Punch, rest 5 min.
Knead in baking powder, rest 5 min.
Form, fill, steam about 15 minutes.

I tried one without the baking powder, but that really helped cut down the glueness I get with steamed, well kneaded breads.

The Brutal Gourmet said...

Oh, and that made about a dozen.

Jenn said...

Mmmm...I love steamed buns!! It's not often I make them. that last time was earlier this year. I used a regular bread recipe and it turned out alright. Though, it was more of an experiment really. I'm hoping to try again with a different recipe.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin