Friday, June 25, 2010

How to Make Self Rising Flour


1 cup of a/p flour
1 1/2 tsps baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Sift it together.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I admit it, I'm one of them. I only keep one kind of flour in my kitchen, all-purpose. Two if you count the masa that I've only used once, although those tamales were wicked good.

One of my brothers keeps something like five or six different flours on hand at all times, but I just can't be bothered. I'm sure my baked goods would be better if I used the appropriate flour, but... well, I could come up with a whole bunch of excuses, if you wanted. I don't have the space, I don't have the proper storage containers, I wouldn't use it much if I had it, blah blah blah. But really, it just amounts to me not wanting to deal with half a dozen different kinds of flour.

Which is why I was thrilled to find out I can make my own self rising flour. Now the question is just what to do with it. But fear not gentle reader, for I have a plan. Insert evil cackle here.

13 comments:

Terrianne, Call me Ree said...

Hi Bob!

I love making ingredients I need to bake/cook with at home. I make cake flour when I need it. And buttermilk all the time. Tastes so much better than the stuff you can buy in the store. I'm going to make ricotta next. And I recently bought 16 bourbon Madagascar vanilla beans, so I'm going to make a large batch of vanilla extract since I use it so much.

Isn't it great what you can do on your own? I love to know that if I don't have something on hand, there's no need to panic, I can either make it myself or find a suitable substitution!

Joanne said...

Ugh I have so much flour it's unreal! I love that you made your own self rising flour...I have a box of it sitting here. I've used it once in the past year. Sigh.

Heather S-G said...

Awesome =) I'm a multi-flour gal myself...but self-rising is something I never buy. I always mean to look up how to make my own...but since you've done that for me, I'll just save your post and refer back. Thanks for doing the leg work ;) LOL...have a great weekend!

Plain Chicken said...

I can never find the recipe for self rising flour when I need it. I am bookmarking this so I have it when I need it!

Angie's Recipes said...

Bob, thanks for the recipe. Self rising flour can be very useful sometimes.

Jenn said...

I'm on the same boat as you. All purpose is usually the only flour in my pantry. Though, I keep telling myself to other variety just in case. I'm going to make a batch of some self-rising now. :)

Goldie said...

Never even thought of that....how oblivious am I?!!! LMAO!!!

Reeni said...

I have lots of flours but this is not one of them. Many times I have passed up a recipe because I didn't have this. Thanks for the substitute!

Shane T. Wingerd said...

HA HA HA.... I am guilty of having a billion and one types of flour floating around... Corn Flour, Rye, Buckwheat, Garbanzo, Whole Wheat, White Whole Wheat, Bread Flour, 00 Flour, Chestnut Flour; even coconut flour... But Self rising is not one of them... LOL I am bookmarking this too cause, though I don't use it that often, it does show up in the occasional recipe... Thanks Bob!!!

Jeannie said...

I have so many I cant believe it myself! You've just made me realised that! I remembered I have bread flour, wheat starch, AP flour, tapioca flour, corn flour, glutinous rice flour, rice flour, mungbean flour! omg! I really must stop buying flour! So many types but not self raising lol! that's cos I always use AP and add baking powder like what you did here.

Thistlemoon said...

I really love the photo! Very cool!

appropriated.muffin said...

i'm totally with you with the one type of flour dealio. can you come up with a way to get cake flour from AP flour? lol

Terrianne, Call me Ree said...

To appropriated muffin,

To make cake flour, simply replace two tablespoons of a/p flour for every one cup with two tablespoons of cornstarch and sift six times.
You'll measure out the amount of cake flour you need for a recipe after the flour has been sifted six times.

=)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin