Monday, October 19, 2009

Repost: Chicken With Cashews

1 1/2 lbs boneless/skinless chicken breast
3 tbls hoisin sauce
2 tbls soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp sherry or 1/2 tsp of rice wine vinegar
1 tbl cornstarch
1 can water chestnuts
1/2 - 1 cup roasted, unsalted cashews
sesame oil

Cut up the chicken into bite sized chunks. Toss it with the cornstarch and sherry or vinegar. Mix together the hoisin, sugar and soy sauce. Heat up a nonstick stir fry pan or skillet over med/med high. Cook the chicken in batches if you want browning or all together if you don't care. When the chicken is almost done add the sauce mixture. Cook over med/med-high for a minute or so, then add the water chestnuts. Cook till the chicken is done then add the cashews. Stir it up and serve over rice, sprinkle a little sesame oil over the top right before eating.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stuff has been wicked busy lately so you kids are getting a repost. I originally did this way back at the beginning of my blog and it wasn't very well done. The post, I mean. The dish hasn't changed a bit, it's awesome, but the pictures I put up make me want to cry. If you really want to see it, it's here. Anyway, I don't have step by step shots this time around but it's so easy I don't think they are needed. Which is convenient since I don't have them. Heh. This is one of the easiest and simplest stir fries I make and also one of my favorites. It's great over rice or noodles or even by itself, if you aren't feeling it for carbs. Put it in a wrap with some carrots and lettuce, that would be good too. Or toss some chow mein noodles on there for some additional texture.

Speaking of texture, the water chestnuts are key to this. They lighten up the flavor a bit and give a great contrast to the tender chicken. But then, I love water chestnuts. It's another one of those things I've noticed people either love or hate, where do you folks stand?

21 comments:

Lea Ann said...

LOL While the photos of your original post don't make "me" want to cry, I will tell you that this picture is better. I have looked back at some of my first posts and feel the same way.

This looks delicious. Will give it a try. And thanks for the repost. I missed the first.

Donna-FFW said...

I am so glad you posted this repost, I never saw the first one, my hubby is quite the fan of water chestnuts, Ill have to try this for him. I, also, love how it sounds.

Angie's Recipes said...

The chicken dish sounds delicious with cashew nuts.

The Duo Dishes said...

Putting it in a wrap is smart, smart, smart. That could be an awesome lunch.

Dewi said...

The combination chicken and cashew sounds delicious. Don't worry about the picture, sometimes picture can be misleading, right? For me, I always look at the recipe first, then the picture.

Palidor said...

It's nice to take a trip down memory lane, isn't it? But I think you're your own worst critic. I didn't see anything wrong with the pictures in the earlier post.

Anonymous said...

yeah, ITA, I thought the first pic was good too! Although, it made me cringe to think of some of my first foodie photos (ok, some are still bad! HA!) I love that you re-posted, 'cuz I didn't see this before either.

Michele said...

This looks yummy! I agree, water chestnuts are great and they give a much needed texture to some stir frys!

Hungry Dog said...

This sounds great. I love water chestnuts...they make a great addition to dishes like this. Nice photo!

Bob said...

Lea Ann: Thanks! Heh, Some people have a higher tolerance for flash than others. ;)

Donna: If you try it let me know how it goes.

Angie: Thanks!

Duo: I thought so. Heh.

Elra: I can't help look at pictures first, my eye is drawn to them.

Palidor: Oh I'm totally my own worst critic, you should hear me grumble while I'm getting posts ready. Heh.

DD: Thanks! I'm trying to repost a lot of my older stuff now that I have a better camera and some readers.

Michele, Hungry Dog: Thanks!

Reeni said...

I love water chestnuts! And I love this! I haven't been making much Chinese at home lately. I'm inspired.

Gwen said...

Hmm, I think I will add this to my dinner menu! Simple and (looks) delicious.

Oh, and I LOVE waterchestnuts, and that is all. :0)

Heather S-G said...

I'm actually an in-the-middle kinda gal w/ water chestnuts. Like 'em...won't cry if it has them, won't cry if it doesn't. The chicken & cashews on the other hand sounds amazing! Love hoisin sauce.

unconfidential cook said...

Thank goodness for reposts! I would never have seen this and everyone in my family will love this--perfect weeknight meal for us!

Unknown said...

Oh yum!!! and your first pics aren't the worst I've seen (or done myself several times!! LOL)

NKP said...

I am pro water chestnuts. I love how simple and delicious this is!
Don't worry about your earlier posts - all of us were pretty lame in the beginning! All my old photos are orange and a little fuzzy.

noble pig said...

Love the new pic! I love cashews, I buy them the 2 lb container. This looks fantastico.

Wandering Coyote said...

This looks like a Kylie Kwong recipe I just made a few weeks ago!

I love water chestnuts, but yes, people either love them or hate them. My SIL thinks they taste & feel like styrofoam.

Anonymous said...

This would be perfect for my lunch today, love the cashews!

Jamie said...

Delicious and my kind of meal!

Spryte said...

OMG that looks amazing!!! AND I LOVE water chestnuts... I agree... I don't know anyone middle of the road about water chestnuts.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin