Friday, October 23, 2009

Hoisin Glazed Carrots

1 tbl hoisin sauce
1 tbl soy sauce
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/4 tsp honey
pepper to taste
2 cups baby carrots

Mix together everything but the carrots and garlic. Put the carrots in a med-hot nonstick pan and cook for a minute. Add the garlic and cook till fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the hoisin mixture and cook till it clings to the carrots, about another minute. If you like the carrots more soft you can blanch them first or leave them in longer in the initial cooking.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A wicked quickie for you guys today. Also it's a side dish, I don't post about those much. Mostly because I cook for two almost exclusively and any side we have is a quick sauteed veggie. Kind of like this, only there's a sauce so I figured I'd share. I don't have step by steps for it, but it's really easy. In fact the sauce is almost exactly the same as my chicken with cashews , which is also very easy. Other than the directions up top the only thing I would advise is to taste the sauce before you add it, in case it's too sweet or not sweet enough. Other than that I suggest you just whip these bad boys up, they are a good time. They go with pretty much anything too, they are sweet, salty and crunchy. Unless you cook them till they're squishy. Then they're not crunchy.

24 comments:

Heather S-G said...

Oh, hoisin & carrots...YUM!! I may just have to try this...along w/ the chicken, LOL ;)

The Brutal Gourmet said...

I don't much go for carrots, but I just roasted a turkey breast last night, and I bet some onions and peppers dressed like this would be awesome on a turkey sandwich.

teresa said...

this looks like such a wonderful side dish! the flavors look fantastic!

Angie's Recipes said...

I like carrot with hoisin sauce..they are a perfect side dish.

Palidor said...

I love hoisin sauce! These carrots look awesome. I can just imagine how nice and sweet they tasted. Have you cooked shrimp with hoisin sauce? Give it a try, with lots of chopped garlic. It's delicious!

Lea Ann said...

I was just looking at the half used bottle of hosien sauce on my refrigerator door and wondering what to do with it. I will give this a try.

Unknown said...

great side! I bet this would go really well with dinner tonight if I decide to make fried rice :)

Donna-FFW said...

Oh Bob, you made me blush.. love the sound of a wicked quickie;)

Carrots look fanfreakingtastic!

Jhonny walker said...

smart and cheeky :) I have a bit of hoisin sauce left..was going to throw it away. Thanks. I can put it some use :)

Jenn said...

Nice. I love carrots as a side dish. Definitely going to hit this one up.

Goldie said...

Wow, great flavor combo idea. Sounds yummy!

Bob said...

girlichef: Heh, you could just mix the two together.

Brutal: Absolutely.

teresa, Angie: Thanks!

Palidor: I'm not a shrimp fan, but I do pork with hoisin and garlic a lot. Good times.

Lea Ann: Do it! I dare you. Heh.

Danielle: Thanks! Why yes, it would go well with fried rice. Heh.

Donna: Hey now! :)

Jhonny walker: ...throw it away? Really? Next time just add it to anything! You can't go wrong.

Jenn, Goldie: Thanks!

Hungry Dog said...

I love hoisin...never thought to put it with carrots. Thanks for the idea!

vanillasugarblog said...

hey now!
love hoisin!
hey now!

The Duo Dishes said...

Any glaze on a carrot is going to be bomb. Love when they're nice and dark on the outside but still have a crunch on the inside. Mmmm.

Reeni said...

What a delicious sauce to go with carrots! I love the flavors! I have two bags of baby carrots to eat up!

The Food Hunter said...

I love carrots and I'm always looking for new ways to cook them. This is a good one.

Anonymous said...

Yummy! This reminds me that I need to put hoisin on my shopping list, been missing it for a while.

NKP said...

Everyone loves a quickie once in a while! ;-)
Great flavour and easy-peasy, what more could you ask for?

Shane T. Wingerd said...

These sounds positively delicious. Awesome! Just say 'NO' to squishy Carrots ;)

Wandering Coyote said...

I thought these were cocktail weenies when I first saw them! LOL!

Sounds like a great recipe!

tamilyn said...

They almost look spicy with the little specks on them. Good way to get kids to eat veggies.......

Noob Cook said...

hoisin sauce + honey sounds like a wondering pair. lovely :)

Spryte said...

Wow!!! Those sound wicked good!!!

(they looked like Lil' Smokies at first!)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin