Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Garlic Pan Fried Noodles

There is a Chinese place around the corner from me that has garlic pan fried noodles on the menu. I've ordered them several times, the first they were spectacular, garlicky and rich (but not greasy) with some bits of noodle crispy and some still soft. Every other time they have been greasy and tasted like burnt garlic. This angered me. So I decided I would try to make them myself, as I have a wont to do. I'm not going to post a recipe since I don't have one yet as this is really a work in progress. But it's a sound concept and makes a good side dish, so I figured I'd share the idea with you folks.

First I cooked up a package of ramen, no seasonings. I love this stuff. Then I heated up some olive oil (next time I'm going to use my garlic/ginger infused stir fry oil) over medium high heat and pressed a clove of garlic in there. I also love my garlic press. Heh. I let it cook for just a minute and then tossed in the noodles. I added a pinch of salt and a twist of fresh black pepper and gave it a good stir. I tasted it and it didn't have as much garlic flavor as I wanted so I minced up another clove real fast (I had already put my garlic press in the dirty sink, of course, and really didn't feel like washing it) and tossed it in there. This wasn't the best choice. Even though I added it off to the side and gave it a quick saute it still added some raw garlic flavor. It also needed more oil so there was enough to lightly coat the noodles so I added a bit. The noodles got some nice texture and the end product was good, if not great. I also wound up tearing that basil I used as a garnish into bits and adding that in. That was a nice touch. Maybe next time I'll do a total Chinese/Italian fusion thing. One thing I think I'm going to do is make a quick garlic infused oil to use instead of pieces of garlic. That way I won't have to worry about burning it. And I'm going to sprinkle some sesame oil over it at the last. Because it smells awesome.

And I'm submitting it to Presto Pasta Nights! Hosted by Girlichef

35 comments:

Dewi said...

simply delicious!

Angie's Recipes said...

hey, Bob, more garlic, please!

Palidor said...

Inconsistency at a restaurant awfully annoying. I think you did a good job of trying to recreate the dish at home. When I was little, my mom used to make this dish using leftover plain pasta. She added a lot of garlic, then the noodles, a little bit of soy sauce, and some oyster sauce. I loved it!

Donna-FFW said...

Love how you recreate things you dont like. This looks like aa lovely dish and I think sesame oil is a perfect idea.

Lea Ann said...

Burnt garlic is just about the worst. This looks really good. A simple side dish. I'm going to give it a try.

vanillasugarblog said...

I would totally eat this. I love ramen, but hate the seasoning packets it comes with and I like to do it my way--just like you did. I'll try the sesame oil, nice idea.

Anonymous said...

So now I regret that I gave away my cases of ramen to the college students LOL Sounds really good, and I like the idea of garlic oil too. Keep us updated.

monicajane said...

I immediately though MORE garlic and thought of sesame oil as well...this creative process is what is so fun about cooking...

Bob said...

Elra: Thanks!

Angie: Definitely.

Palidor: Ooo, oyster sauce. Good idea.

Donna: Thanks! I figure if I don't like the way someone else does it I might as well do it myself. Heh.

Lea Ann: Yeah, burnt garlic is just nasty. If you try it, let me know how it goes!

Dawn: I only use the packets when I'm sick and then just because it's a childhood memory. Other than that, I like to jazz it up.

DD: Heh, I think a case is only like 2 bucks, go grab some more! I will definitely keep you in the loop. ;)

monicajane: It definitely is. I might just make some more for lunch today.

Heather S-G said...

mmmmmm, garlic!! Simple and delicious....love it :D (...wanna put it in Presto Pasta Nights this week?!)

Jenn said...

I love pan-fried noodles. I usually like it when the noodles are nice and browned at the crusts making them extra crispy.

pigpigscorner said...

Simple and delicious!

Goldie said...

Casey would want me to put peanut oil in it...I will have to try that...

Jhonny walker said...

This will be DONE! so simple yet I can feel the awesomeness right from here.great job!

Wandering Coyote said...

I can see potential using roasted garlic, too, though that would be less Asian. I love ramen - it's so versatile!

Bob said...

Jenn: Yeah, that's the bomb. One of the reason I want to use a garlic oil is so I can leave the noodles in as long as it takes to get them crispy without burning anything.

pigpig: Thanks!

Goldie: Ooo, they would be good fried in peanut oil.

Jhonny walker: Such enthusiasm, I love it! Thanks!

Wandering Coyote: True it would be less Asian, but it would be all awesome.

Unknown said...

Don't you just hate when a restaurant is inconsistant? I love garlic noodles!!! and ya, the infused oil would be the way to go. the sesame oil would be awesome.

Reeni said...

I love recreating restaurant food - the best part is making them better! This sounds yummy!

Sasha said...

You're giving Ramen a better reputation : )

I'm sending my Ramen-obsessed friend this recipe. She'll love it. Thanks for sharing!

Jamie said...

Yum! This reminds me of the Italian Spaghetti-Olio-Aglio my husband makes when he wants something simple with a kick. Delicious! And I'll bet a splash of sesame oil would be fabulous!

Karine said...

Great idea to try to recreate this dish at home! :)

At least, you can adapt now to suit your tastes.

Chocolaty Lifestyle said...

Such a simply and delicious thing!

Anonymous said...

Sounds great with garlic! I like your idea of doing Chinese/Italian fusion!

NKP said...

I have a thing for tarted up ramen too. Definitely go for the sesame oil!
I love how you re-create the dishes that you like at home.

Spryte said...

YUM!!!!!

unconfidentialcook said...

One of my mottos is: You can't be too rich, too thin...or have too much garlic!

tamilyn said...

I need to learn how to make noodles from scratch. Well, NOT the noodles, but how to flavor cooked noodle with flavors of the Orient. I love packaged Pad Thai noodles and top them peanuts. I will just have play in the kitchen like you, huh?

Tangled Noodle said...

I love pan-fried noodles and yours looks so incredibly appetizing. In fact, I think I have some ramen packets in my pantry! I would look forward to seeing what else you decide to to do with this idea.

Barbara said...

Great idea to use the ramen noodles! I love frying noodles- used to do it for my kids but I just used butter and some gruyere. Love the idea of adding garlic.

Joanne said...

Some dishes are just so much more reliable when you make them yourself (and cheaper too!). Sounds like a great concept for a dish.

pam said...

I love simple noodle dishes like this!

gaga said...

Easy and delicious. What a great combo :)

Little Inbox said...

This is absolutely simple, and you can savour the original flavour with a hint of garlic smell.

Anonymous said...

Oh my! This is so simple yet so articulately comforting. I love noodles. I may take a stab at this soon.

sarımsak hapı yorumları said...

All meals are rich in vitamin a garlic flavor and adds a natural antibiotic and he is good in my swine flu

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin