Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Pecan Tassies

I have a fairly large family (I'm the youngest of seven) so for Christmas we just draw names out of a hat and get a gift for one person/family unit. This year one of my sisters got my girlfriend and me and along with some amusing t shirts she sent a couple dozen of these. These are pecan tassies and they are deadly. They're like mini pecan pies with a cream cheese crust. And no, there isn't one missing from that pack. I swear I didn't eat any before taking a picture because they just looked so good, it only appears that way. All right? All right.Anyway, my girlfriend and I almost came to blows over the last one.

It went down like this:

*Intense stare down, High Noon whistle. I loom over her, almost a foot taller and much heftier.*

Me: "You think you can take me, girl? I have over 100 pounds on you and years of martial arts under my belt!"

Girlfriend: "Uh-huh. Hey! Noodles is scratching your guitar! Go stop her!"

Me: "Whaa?!" I turn my back.

I turn back after noting that no, Noodles was not scratching my guitar but my girlfriend is covered in crumbs and grins. The bastard.

Ok, that didn't really happen. But civil discussion isn't half as amusing.

So anyway, I figured I'd have to make them. But that hasn't happened yet and since I want to clean up my camera I'm going to post about them anyway. My sister used the recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, but I don't feel like writing out a recipe today. So instead I'm going to link to a few of my favorite bloggers who have posted a recipe for them.

Evil Shenanigans has one that uses golden syrup, which I bet gives a great texture to them.

Here is one at The Joy of Baking that looks an awful lot like the BH&G version and if it is I can testify to its awesomeness.

And here is a gluten free pecan tassie recipe from Simply Gluten Free, which I am intrigued by. I'm not a gluten free needing person but they look fantastic and if that's something you're into you should check that out.

Who out there has had these? Has anyone ever subbed other nuts? I was thinking cashews or almonds. Maybe chocolate and peanuts...

6 comments:

Spryte said...

YUM!!!

Goldie said...

I've always wanted to make those, but never got around to it. I don't know why--they seem easy enough. I also want to make the lemmon tassies on Martha Stewart's site...one of these days...

Debbie, the best sister ever said...

Oh yeah, baby. And for the record, the best thing Pampered Chef makes (and it's like three bucks, and you can probably get it other places, too)is a wooden stick with a ball on each end. You form the dough into a ball, put it in the mini-muffin cup and use the Pampered Chef thingy to shape it (dip it in flour first). It used to take me forever to make a pan of tassies--now I can whip 'em out at assembly-line speed.

Anonymous said...

I have memories of these from my southern relatives at Christmas time. They are better than regular sized pecan pie if you ask me.

Karen said...

I'd rather have these than a whole pecan pie - they look yummy!

Unknown said...

I have never had these!! and I have that cookbook!! (running to grab said cookbook to look for the recipe) Well shoot... apparently Better Homes and Garden didn't publish that recipe waaaaay back in 1953 (this particular issue use to be my mother in-laws). Pecan Pie is my most favorite...and cream cheese anything is awesome!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin