Sunday, July 20, 2008

Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup mashed bananas (about 3 bigguns)
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsps vanilla
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup chocoloate chips

Preheat oven to 325 and grease a loaf pan. Mix sugar, bananas, oil and eggs in a large bowl. Add everything else except chips and mix until almost completely combined, then add chips and finish mixing. Bake for 60-70 minutes or till a toothpick comes out clean.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
So this recipe comes to us via my girlfriend, who used to make it with her mom when she was little. She got it from kid's cookbook that they got with cereal boxtops. I think they are still making them, if anyone wants the details just let me know and I will look them up. But I prefer not to shill. I am however going to encourage people to cook with their kids. It's a good time and teaches them something useful. Some of my fondest memories from childhood are of cooking. Plus, when boys get older chicks dig it if they know how to cook. Oh yeah. Since this is my girlfriends recipe, she is guest cheffing. So the pretty hands here are hers. Just so there isn't any confusion, she is doubling the recipe. We were cleaning off the kitchen table and found these hidden under some dish towels. Six big black bananas. It pretty much forced her hand, it has to be banana bread time. First put the sugar in the bowl, then put in the mashed bananas. The easiest way to mash bananas is just by squishing them up by hand. This is a good time for kids to come in, they love this stuff.Now add the oil and eggs. Mix these up well.Now add your dry ingredients and vanilla. You can mix the dry stuff up ahead of time, this recipe doesn't call for it though. My girlfriend has never premixed them and it always turns out great. Also, I don't know why the recipe has you add the vanilla in with the dry stuff since adding it in with the liquids would make more sense, but again it always comes out great. Mix it up most of the way then add the chocolate chips. The recipe calls for nuts, but my girlfriend prefers chocolate chips. Isn't she great? Now normally you would put it in a loaf pan, but since she is doubling it she is using this. It's a silicon bundt pan. It's... ok. I got it because it looked cool, but it doesn't brown things well. If I had it to do over I would get a normal one, but I have it and don't have enough space for two. You could do muffins too, that's always good. Pour your batter into whatever you are using. Now toss it into your preheated 325 degree oven for sixty to seventy minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Well, cleanish. If you hit a chunk of banana or a chip it will come out gooey. Nothing to be done about that. Now it is easiest to handle if you let it cool completely before trying to cut it. But if you eat it warm, then it's warm. Life is full of hard choices. Once it's cooled for a bit, turn it out onto a cooling rack. This actually browned up pretty well, except around the middle there. Now, if you choose to eat it warm you get to put butter on it, which then melts into it. Maybe this isn't such a hard choice...

4 comments:

The Brutal Gourmet said...

I always mush my bananas more than that -- do you get really big chunks in your bread, or do they smooth out in the mixing?

Bob said...

They wind up being pretty small, for the most part. All the mixing does break them up. There are a few bigger chunks though.

Gina Kadlec said...

Hey Bob, I am a fan of your Blog. your sister put the link on a message board she goes to and since then I've been lurking here and getting some great ideas! I love to cook too and since I enjoy your blog so much you are added to my blog as a favorite site. Keep up the good work... you definitely have a talent for writing and it seems cooking... you should be on next seasons "food network star"! anyway, keep it up. I have a great recipe I should email you to try... that way you can take the credit and everyone will think you are a superstar!

Bob said...

Hi Gina! I wish I had a gift for you for being the first non family member to comment here and the first link ever. :) Deb had mentioned mentioning me someplace, I didn't actually expect anyone to show up. Heh. Thanks for the kind words, I'm having a lot of fun doing this. If you want to email me a recipe I would love to have it, can't have enough of them! I have an email set up for the blog, bobcooksstuff@gmail.com . And I will totally give you credit, I have wicked bad stage fright I wouldn't be able to handle being a superstar!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin